The Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce (SEDCC) proudly announces this year’s scholarship application process for graduating seniors. The SEDCC College Scholarship Fund will award twelve (13) $1,000 in scholarships:
• Five (5) scholarships will be awarded to five graduating seniors from high schools located within zip codes 75180, 75210, 75217, or 75227 (one award per school)
• One (1) scholarship will be awarded to an Eastfield College TRiO Upward Bound or TRiO Talent Search Program participant from one of the three DISD schools: W. W. Samuell, Skyline, or H. Grady Spruce.
• One (1) scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior from W. W. Samuell, Skyline, or H. Grady Spruce, majoring in a STEM-related field.
• One (1) scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior from a high school located within zip codes 75180, 75210, 75217, or 75227, majoring in a Business-related field.
• One (1) scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior from H. Grady Spruce high school.
• Four (4) scholarships will be awarded to the highest-scored applications (maximum of two awards per school)
The scholarship will be awarded to full-time students attending any 2-year, 4-year college, university, or career/technical/trade school in the fall semester. The $1,000 scholarship will be mailed to the institution where the student will attend.
In addition, this year, the SEDCC will recognize outstanding teachers and principals whose efforts and example have inspired their students, their colleagues, and the community of Southeast Dallas.
The Education Committee of the SEDCC will select one teacher and principal from a public high school and one teacher and principal from a charter/private high school based on two categories: 1) Best nomination entry and 2) majority of votes from participating high schools. See the nomination criteria on page three.
Please direct questions about these procedures or announcement to the chair of the Education Committee, Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez, at [email protected]
Ricardo Rodriguez, Ph. D.
Dallas College –Pleasant Grove Center
SEDCC Board of Directors Chair SEDCC Education Chair [email protected]
All of the following categories will be considered in determining scholarship recipients:
1. Completed scholarship application form: Scholarship Application
2. Minimum GPA of 2.7 and/or a 75-grade average
3. A 700 to 1,000-word essay (on a separate file, in Times New Roman font and 12 pt font) describing the following:
• A brief biography about yourself
• Your educational and career goals
• Any school activities or extracurricular activities in which you have participated
• Any honors which you have received during your high school career
• Any volunteer activities or social activities outside of school
• Explanation of financial need
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from one of your teachers. The second letter must be from a member of the community (pastor, counselor, employer, coach, neighbor, or another adult who can share about your academic successes and/or life situation)
5. A current copy of your high school transcript
Note: Applicant will email their essay, letters of recommendation, and transcript to [email protected].
Completed applications must be submitted on or before Monday, April 24th, 2023.
The nominee should be an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled educator (teacher or principal) in any of the following high schools: A+ Academy Secondary School, H. Grady Spruce High School, Inspired Vision Academy Secondary, Irma Lerma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School, Skyline High School, Texas Texas Can Academy, and W. W. Samuell High School. In addition, the educator must be:
• Someone who inspires students of all backgrounds to learn
• Someone who is respected and admired by students, parents, and colleagues
• Someone who plays an active role in the community as well as in the school
Note: Only students or staff from participating high schools may submit a nomination. A teacher or principal can nominate themselves.
Submit a Nomination Here: Nomination Form
Completed nominations must be submitted on or before Monday, April 24th, 2023.
Scholarship recipients and educators of the year, along with their respective families, will be invited to attend the
Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce Scholarship and Education Awards Dinner on Thursday, May 18th, 2023, at 6 pm at A+ Academy Secondary School auditorium (445 S Masters Dr, Dallas, TX 75217).
SEDCC Awards Dinner Presenting Sponsor Atmos Energy Corporation will sponsor two (2) SEDCC Scholarships!
Atmos Energy Corporation, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is one of the United States’ largest natural-gas-only distributors. They have deep roots in Texas and are a great corporate partner in the community. Please learn more at www.atmosenergy.com.
SEDCC member and longtime community supporter Dal-Tile Corporation, founded in Southeast Dallas in 1947 and now a Mohawk Industries subsidiary, agreed to fund two (2) SEDCC Scholarships once again. Dal-Tile Corporation, a subsidiary of Mohawk Industries, manufactures, distributes, and markets high-quality ceramic tile and natural stone products. Dal-Tile is the largest ceramic tile manufacturer in the U.S. and one of the largest tile manufacturers in the world, employing over 10,000 associates. You can read more on their website – www.daltile.com.
Honoring the legacy of businessman William Martin Ingram, Jr., Auto City of Dallas will award one (1) scholarship to a graduating senior from one of the seven Southeast Dallas high schools. One business, established in 1974, had its humble beginnings in Pleasant Grove. William Martin Ingram, Jr., started life in the Great Depression, growing up in Paris, Texas. He worked in cotton mills, sold insurance, and worked for the railroad but found none of these jobs satisfying. William Martin Ingram, Jr. wanted to be an entrepreneur and have his own business. With no savings, a new wife, and a new baby, he started East Grand Motors in 1958. After years of long hours, hard work, and dedication, his business expanded. In 1974, he saw an opportunity to open a dealership in Pleasant Grove called Auto City. Four decades later, Auto City continues to grow and thrive under the careful watch of Martin’s son, Blake Ingram.
SEDCC member, Garcia Legal Group, P.C. is proud to sponsor one (1) scholarship for a graduating senior from H. Grady Spruce High School. At Garcia Legal Group, P.C., we always put our clients first. Whatever your situation may be, we are here to help you address the legal issue you are facing in the most effective way possible.
The philanthropic arm of the club serving Southeast Dallas since 1950 is glad to sponsor once again one (1) scholarship – “Kids need Kiwanis”!
SEDCC member and partner Continental Electronics is proud to sponsor one (1) STEM scholarship.
For more than seven decades, Continental Electronics has established a Tradition of R.F. Innovation in missioncritical applications that positively impact our world. Continental empowers employees and seeks long-term relationships with customers that embrace our core values of safety, quality, integrity, teamwork, and pride.
As a community, we have been blessed with tremendous support from many businesses and individuals during the Southeast Dallas Community Golf Classic, presented by Dal-Tile. This annual event provided the funds for the five
(5) SEDCC scholarships.